Monday, May 23, 2011

I Was Once A Missionary

I've been rereading my missionary journals for the past couple of weeks and I came across a couple entries that I just love. Here's one of them (editor's note: I have maintained the original grammar and punctuation as hard as it was to do. I wasn't as savvy back then.) (Can I also say, that I wrote this out just trying to be funny, but reading it now, it is one of the most revealing entries I ever wrote--Let this be a lesson to all of you unfunny people out there.):

Day #: 219 -- Friday
Date: August 22, 2003 (special notice: Mom's birthday)
Companion: Elder Mark Donald Reese
Area: Placentia/Yorba Linda/Fullerton East
Location of residence: Sister Penrod's Home
Room: "Jenners" old one
Bed: the bottom one (Bed w/ "trucks" comforter)
Time of arising: 6:29 a.m.
Topics of study: 1 Nephi: 2 & 3, A Marvelous work & a wonder, Chapter 18, Spanish Grammar (rr, IDO, DO ect.), Helping Resolve Concerns
Time of departure: 10:43 am *LATE*
Contacts:
People visited:
Luise (Not there), Maria Margarita, Socorro & Fam (Not there), Hna. Davila (to use phone), Hno. Garcia, Sergio
Dinner Appt: La Familia Rosas Rice & Beef
Highlights: Picking Avecados at MM's, Fighting the fearsome testiga, Getting cake from Hna. Yanez
Accomplishments: reveiwed 1st w/ Sergio, comforting Hno Garcia w/ his crazy wife
Time of arrival: 9:32 *LATE*
Phone calls: Felipe & Maria, D.A. Genevive, Mechanics
Bedtimes items: washed face (check), brushed teeth (check), contacts out (check), journal written in (check)
Lights out: 10:29.9 p.m.

There you have it: a little glimpse into the life of Elder DeHart. I loved my mission in Anaheim California and I loved preaching in Spanish. More than anything I loved my associations with the members, the other missionaries, mission leadership and every other one of God's children with whom I came in contact. Can you believe it's been six years. Ha, I told that to my home teachers last night and they both just looked at me in shock. I asked David how long he had been home and he said nearly a year and Hugo said two. I guess I'm an old man.

Well, to conclude this post, I've included a photo from the mission. Thank goodness someone had the foresight to buy a digital camera before they entered the MTC. I certainly didn't.

Here we are at the Angel's game...the perks of an Anaheim California Mission Call.

No comments:

Post a Comment