Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Symbolism of the Solitary Slipper


Monday night, after a rather blustery FHE at Kiwanis Park, I was over at my buddy Mark's house. Several of my other ward friends were there i.e. Tanner, Kylee, Rachi-chi (honorary ward member), Laura and others. We were having a good time talking about yesteryear when Mindy sent me a text saying she had made ice cream and that it was at her house waiting for me (My favorite flavor of ice cream is homemade.). I decided right then and there that I was going to go to her house and I was going to eat that ice cream.

Once I had made the decision to leave, I knew that a goodbye would ensue and that always makes me a little nervous, especially at Mark's because I hate leaving and I hate having to say goodbye to my best friends, even if it is to go eat ice cream with my girlfriend. I started heading for the door and people started saying goodbye. Tanner insisted that I come back with Mindy and probably the ice cream too. I told him I would see what I could do and he then demanded collateral to make sure that I would come back. I simply laughed at the joke and pulled my wallet out in jest, but then I took my shoe off and gave it to him. The adventure factor of it all got the better of me and I drove the 10 minutes to Mindy's without a right shoe.

Needless to say, I didn't end up going back to Mark's that night, but on the ride over to Mindy's I may or may not have gotten a little misty thinking about how good it feels to have someone want you to come back. It's a remarkable feeling...

Yesterday I made my way back to my shoe and picked it up to take it home, but decided to set it back down. The sight of it there alone on the shoe rack in Mark's living room was a symbol to me of "coming back" and I felt taking it home right then would marr that memory. So, to make a long story even longer, the shoe sits alone as a reminder of what it feels like to have friends who want you back.

1 comment:

  1. I often find myself almost in tears over how great our friends are. So glad to be apart of all the fun and love

    ReplyDelete